BRC[British Retail Consortium]-IOP: Food Packaging and Packaging Materials
BRC-IOP Key Clients :
The BRC (British Retail Consortium) Global Standards are specification developed by British Retail Consortium in response to the needs of UK members of the consortium. The British Retail Consortium (BRC) is the trade association of range of independent retailers, large multiples and department stores, selling a wide range of products. The BRC Global Standards are used by suppliers and global retailers. BRC standards specify requirements for standardization of quality, safety, operational criteria and manufacturers' fulfillment of legal obligations. They also help provide protection to the consumer.
The BRC standard is recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), which aims to harmonize international food safety standards with the help of the world's top retailers and food manufacturers.
The BRC Global Standards are a group of four industry-leading Technical Standards that specify requirements to be met by an organization to enable the production, packaging, storage and distribution of safe food and consumer products
Every organization involved in food packaging materials - including packaging manufacturers, retailers and packer/fillers - has a legal obligation to comply with the BRC IOP food packaging standard.
The Standard is designed to help packaging manufacturers and converters to implement good manufacturing practices and quality management systems to develop and manufacture safe, legal packaging materials meeting their customer's quality requirements.
The Standard requires:
- Implementation of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP)
- A documented and effective quality management system
- The control of factory environment standards, products, processes and personnel
Scope & Application
The Standard is applicable to the manufacture of packaging and packaging materials used in food packaging and filling operations and to packaging and packaging materials for cosmetics, toiletries and other consumer products and materials.
The standard is applicable to manufacturers producing packaging materials for food and consumer products. The packaging industry is divided into specific product technologies such as
- Paper and Board
- Metals - cans and foil products
- Wood and other materials.
The Standard recognizes 2 levels of hygiene risk depending on the end use of the packaging materials for instance direct food contact is the highest level and will fall into the high hygiene risk category, while non-food packaging will fall into the low hygiene risk category. The requirements of the standard are listed separately depending upon the level.
The standard demands:
- Senior management commitment,
- Hazard and risk analysis,
- Internal audits,
- Housekeeping and cleaning,
- Process control,
- Training and competence,
Documentation & Other Requirements
The BRC – IOP documentation shall include:
- Food safety policy and related objectives,
- Food safety manual & HACCP Plan,
- Pre-requisite programmes
- Documented procedures & work instructions,
- Documents and records needed for effective implementation of processes.
BRC IOP Implementation Benefits
There are a number of benefits arising from the adoption, of the Standard, These include:
- Providing a single audit report that is recognized by many customers in place of their own audits' saving time and cost
- Operating under an accreditation framework that ensures the results of certification have international credibility and recognition
- A comprehensive scope, covering areas of quality, hygiene and product safety, that meets most customer requirements when assessing and approving suppliers
- Providing a framework for the development of quality and hygiene management systems in companies that encourages continuous improvement, reduction in waste and increased efficiency
- Addressing part of the legislative requirements of the packaging manufacturer/supplier, packer/filler and retailer, Packaging manufacturers may also use this Standard to ensure their suppliers are following good manufacturing practices and are fulfilling legal requirements
- Certificated sites making use of the marketing opportunities provided, through recognition on the public BRC Global Standards Directory website and use of the BRC logo.
Why Choose 4C Consulting ?
- Team 4C has IRCA certified BRC-IOP auditors for Consulting Services
- 800+ certifications in different industries
- Hands on experience of Team 4C in implementing food safety management tools would help to gain early benefits
We offer a customized training program on BRC for
- BRC Packaging - Awareness on implementation and documentation requirements
- BRC Packaging - Internal Auditor training
4C Consulting Private Limited is one of the leading professional consulting firm for BRC & BRC/IOP Food Safety Management System (FSMS) certification. We are the BRC & BRC/IOP consultant and consulting for BRC & BRC/IOP Certification, BRC & BRC/IOP Training, BRC & BRC/IOP Implementation, BRC & BRC/IOP Documentation in Ahmedabad, Baroda Vadodara, Rajkot, Surat, Vaapi, Ankleshwar, Mumbai Bombay, Pune, Bangalore, Maharashtra, Gujarat, India USA, Canada, Europe, U.K., France, Japan, China,UAE, Kuwait, Middle East, Asia & Africa.