Fami-Qs: Food Safety Management System
Fami-Qs Key Clients :
Fami-QS is a derivation of European Feed Additives and Premixtures Quality System.
FAMI-QS code of practice bases itself on a Quality Management System. The certificate guarantees the implementation of the requirements for feed hygiene in animal nutrition as laid down in Regulation (EC) No. 183/2005.
The European Regulation on Feed Hygiene (183/2005) sets up hygiene and safety requirements for the whole feed chain this includes feed additives and premixtures. This Regulation also promotes the establishment of codes of practice in the feed chain. Therefore the feed additive industry has decided to establish a code of practice covering feed additives and premixtures (as defined in Regulation 1831/2003/EC on additives for use in animal nutrition).
This code is the FAMI-QS Code of Practice for Feed Additive and Premixture Operators. A parallel and independent certification system has been developed by FAMI-QS Asbl. Participation in the FAMI-QS auditable system is based on voluntary commitment.
The FAMI-QS Code is certified by independent certification bodies, and run by the FAMI QS Asbl association.
What is FAMI-QS??
A tool for complying with the Feed Hygiene Regulation, which:
- Encourages the development of systems to good practice for hygiene
- Requires the application of HACCP principles
- Positive dynamic interaction with chain partners
Scope & Application
The aim of this European Code of Practice is to ensure safety of feed additives and premixtures by:
- Minimizing the risk of adulterated feed additives and premixtures entering the feed/food chain;
- Enabling an operator to implement the objectives of the feed hygiene Regulation (Regulation (EC)No 183/2005); and
- Providing measures to ensure that other applicable regulatory feed safety requirements are met. Feed is considered unsafe for its intended use if it is likely to pose a risk to (has adverse effect on) human or
- Animal health, or if the food derived from food producing animals fed the feed is unsafe for human consumption.
This Code shall apply to feed additives and premixture operators at all stages of feed production from the first placing on the market of feed additives and premixtures based on current EU legislation. Therefore it also applies to the placing on the market of feed additives and premixtures after import from third countries.
Compliance with FAMI‐QS does not exonerate the operator from meeting the statutory or regulatory requirements in each country in which the operator is active.
- Suppliers and initial manufacturers of Feed Additives/Pre-mixes to EU operators.
- Producers and traders of feed additives and feed premixtures according to Regulation (EC) 1831/2003.
The operator shall establish, document, implement and maintain a management system in accordance with the requirements of this Code. The MS shall be continually adapted in line with regulatory developments and customer requirements.
The structure of the MS shall be specific to the organization of the operator and should include policies, requirements and process documents that reflect commitment to feed safety.
The MS shall ensure that all activities carried out by the operator that could impact on the quality and feed safety of the product are consistently defined, implemented and maintained at all levels in the organization.
The MS shall include quality procedures to ensure that the product consistently conforms to the authorization of the feed additive and the specification of the premixture(s) thereof.
The Fami-QS documentation shall include:
- Food safety policy and related objectives,
- Food safety manual & HACCP Plan,
- Pre-requisite programmes
- Documented procedures & work instructions,
- Documents and records needed for effective implementation of processes,
- Compliance to applicable regulatory requirements.
Fami-Qs Implementation Benefits
Fami-Qs implementation improves / leads to
- Conformance to Legal and Regulatory Requirements
- Provide recognition throughout the supply chain as single standard approach to Food Safety
- Compliance with the Codex HACCP principles.
- Access to new markets through inclusion in the database of certified suppliers.
- Increase profits by aligning your products to retailer/consumer requirements.
- Improves the Safety and Quality of your product
- Demonstrates sustainable production and manufacturing best practices
- The ability to reduce the number and frequency of inconsistent and costly audits.
- Systematic management of prerequisite programs.
- Hazard analysis to evaluate threats to food safety.
- Dynamic communication on food safety issues with suppliers, customers, regulators and other interested parties.
- A systematic and proactive approach to identification of food safety hazards and development and Implementation of control measures.
- Customer Confidence, Satisfaction and Trust
- Clear responsibilities and authorities agreed for all staff
- Improved use of time and resources
- Greater Consistency and Traceability of products and services
- Level of Assurance in Organizational Quality
- Organizational PROFITABILITY
- Ability to Differentiate Organization for Competitive Advantage
- Organizational Credibility & Reputation.
Why Choose 4C Consulting ?
- Team 4C has IRCA certified Fami-Qs auditors for Consulting Services
- 800+ certifications in different industries
- Hands on experience of Team 4C in implementing Feed Additive & premixtures quality system tools would help to gain early benefits
We offer a customized training program on Fami-Qs for
Fami-Qs Know More
Why is certification good for my business?
Demonstrable and transparent quality assurance constitutes a license to produce. Certification shows your commitment to a set of globally recognized principles, opening the global market:
- Food safety has a high priority
- The animal feed industry, including ingredient suppliers, is part of the food chain and is responsible for the safety of its products
- HACCP is a proactive approach which links the feed chain to the food chain
- Quality control of raw materials is a mutual concern for suppliers and the animal feed industry
- The trade and industry are assuming their responsibility for product safety
By achieving the GMP certification, your company can demonstrably guarantee that animal feeds and animal feed ingredients meet the legal rules and the requirements which have been agreed with the parties in the chain.
The GMP certification enables your organization to:
- Communicate confidence to the customers, demonstrating that the feed or feed ingredients are produced by means of safe processes
- Prove that all reasonable precautions have been taken
- Allow the customers to demand certification and assessment of suppliers, if they operate in a country with a strong feed safety legislative framework
- Reduce the number of audits carried out by the customers and, consequently, save costs and management time
- Reduce product waste and product recall
- Improve relations with the food safety authorities
- Improve efficiency
Certification to the GMP standards provide an effective means for communicating with stakeholders and other interested parties. It is an important element in demonstrating feed safety commitment under corporate governance, corporate responsibility, and financial reporting requirements.