ISO 22000:2018- NEW STANDARD TRANSITION FROM ISO 22000:2005
ISO 22000 Key Clients :
ISO 22000, Food safety management systems (FSMS) is an international standard developed by the International Organization for Standardization .It is used by organizations across the food chain to ensure the implementation of best food safety practices and help supply food that is safe to consume for consumers.
This standard aims at controlling food safety hazards along the food chain. To make sure that the ISO 22000 continue to serve organizations and keep its relevance in today???s market place, the standard now have been revised to 22000:2018 replacing the old ISO 22000:2005 standard. ISO 22000:2018 Food Safety Management system has been amended as per the High Level Structure (HLS ) and seeks to identify the most recent issues surrounding the food safety and keeping pace with the current needs of today???s food sector.
All industries practicing food supply and have been certified earlier to ISO 22000:2005 are supposed to migrate to the ISO 22000:2018 soon. The advantages of migration would that the ISO 22000:2018 is aligned to the new requirements of the standard and it is easier to integrate with other management systems.
Scope & Application
ISO 22000 is an international standard intended to be used by all organizations within the food chain irrespective of its size or position in food chain.
ISO 22000 is applicable to:
- Food manufacturers.
- Transportation, storage and distribution services.
- Food service outlets.
- Harvesters of wild plants or animals.
- Animal food producers.
- Organizations providing cleaning and sanitation services.
- Suppliers of cleaning and disinfectants.
- Suppliers of packaging and other food contact materials.
ISO 22000 Requirements
- Ensure that food safety hazards are identified, evaluated and controlled in a way that the products do not harm the consumer;
- Communicating appropriate information throughout the food chain regarding safety issues related to its products;
- Communicating information concerning the development, implementation and updating of the FSMS throughout the organization;
- Periodically evaluate and update the FSMS when necessary, to ensure that the system incorporates the most recent information on food safety.
The food safety management system documentation shall include:
- Documented statement of a food safety policy and related objectives;
- Documented procedures and records required by this International Standard;
- Documents needed by the organization to ensure the effective development, implementation
- and updating of the FSMS;
- Control of documents
- Control of records.
Key changes from ISO 22000: 2005 to ISO 22000: 2018
The newer version of this standard have been introduced to maximize the readability and clarity of the standard.
The Risk Based Approach: The revised version includes a different approach for understanding risk. The standard will differentiate between risk at two levels:
- Operational level (through the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point approach (HACCP))
- Strategic level of the management system and its ability to reach its specific goals.
High level Structure: adopt the new High Level Structure (HLS) developed and used by ISO to allow an easier implementation of an Integrated Management System.
PDCA Cycle: There will be two separate cycles in the standard clarifying the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle with one covering the management system and the other covering the principles of HACCP.
Operation Process: Control measures are now categorized to be managed as Operational Prerequisite Programmes (OPRPs) or as Critical Control Points (CCPs). These measures are now related only to significant hazards and not managed at a Prerequisite Programmes (PRPs) level. The approach to identify each category is now different. Control measures managed as OPRPs have measurable action criteria while those managed at CCPs have only measurable critical limits that enable timely correction.
Transition from ISO 22000:2005 to ISO 22000:2018
The revised Food Safety Management System of ISO 22000 has been published on June 19, 2018 marking the start of 3 year transition period (until June 19 2021) for all certified companies i.e. with this release, ISO 22000:2005 will be withdrawn from consideration.
So, If you are certified to the ISO 22000:2005 standard, you will have migrate to ISO 22000:2018 until June 19 2021 in order to maintain the validity of certification. Hence, we recommend you to start your transition preparation as soon as possible to incorporate all needed changes into your existing management system and stand out at a global level.
ISO 22000:2018 Transition Time-Line:
ISO 22000:2018 Implementation Benefits
A major benefit of this revision is that it follows ISO???s High Level Structure which aims in making food safety management system of your organization compatible with other ISO management systems standards such as ISO 9001 Quality Management, ISO 14001 Environment Management and ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety. Other benefits includes:
- Improved Customer Satisfaction.
- Maximized Profitability of the company through improved processes.
- Increased Credibility and Goodwill of the company.
- Preventive Approach to food safety.
- Compliance to regulatory and legal requirements.
- Active communication of various food safety issues between interested parties within the food chain.
- Leads to an organization???s conformity to its stated food safety policy.
Why Choose 4C Consulting ?
- Team 4C has IRCA certified ISO 22000 auditors for Consulting Services
- 400+ FSMS implementation in 12 different industries
- Hands on experience of Team 4C in implementing other Food safety tools such as HACCP, FSSC, BRC food/IOP, AIB, IFS, Fami-Qs would help to gain early benefits
We can guide you from preparations to transition to the new standard. As different organizations need different levels of support for their transition, we can support you with everything from basic awareness sessions and material to self-assessments and migration audits - depending upon your needs.
We offer a customized training program on ISO 22000:2018 for