ISO 22000:2005 Food Safety Management System [FSMS]
ISO 22000 Key Clients :
Food safety is getting importance because of the public health and impact on international trade. ISO 22000 is a specification that defines the requirements of a food safety management system covering all organizations in the food chain from "farm to fork".
ISO 22000 specifies requirements to control food safety hazards & Risk to ensure that food is safe at the time of human consumption. ISO 22000 can be used by all organizations, in the Food supply chain - from farmers to food services, to processing, transportation, storage, retail and packaging.
This International Standard specifies requirements to enable an organization:
- To implement a food safety management system (FSMS) to provide products that, according to their intended use, are safe for the consumer,
- To ensure compliance with applicable statutory and regulatory food safety requirements,
- To meet customer specific food safety requirements in order to enhance customer satisfaction,
- To communicate food safety issues to suppliers, customers and interested parties in the food chain,
Scope & Application
All requirements of this International Standard are generic and applicable to all organizations in the food chain regardless of size and complexity. This includes organizations directly or indirectly involved in one or more steps of the food chain.
ISO 22000 is applicable to:
- Primary Producers such as Farms, dairies etc.
- Processors of Fish, Meat & Feed
- Producers of ingredients
- Manufacturer of food products - Snack, Cereal, Bread etc.
- Suppliers to Food industry - packaging material, cleaning and sanitizing agents, tools, utensils, equipment etc.
- Food Service providers - Grocery stores , hotels , Restaurant , Super markets
- Transportation, storage and distribution services for foodstuff
- Other Service providers - Cold storages, Catering service, cleaning and sanitation services, logistic etc.
ISO 22000 Requirements
ISO 22000 was prepared by Food products Technical Committee ISO/TC 34,
The organization shall
- Define the scope of the food safety management system. The scope shall mention the products or product categories, processes and production sites to be covered under the ISO 22000.
- Ensure that food safety related hazard & risks are identified so that products of the organization do not harm the consumer.
- Communicate information throughout the food chain regarding food safety issues related to its products,
- Identify and implement control over outsourced processes.
The food safety management system documentation shall include:
- Food safety policy and related objectives,
- Food safety manual & HACCP Plan,
- Pre-requisite programmes
- Documented procedures & work instructions,
- Documents and records needed for effective implementation of processes,
- Compliance to applicable regulatory requirements.
The extent of ISO 22000 documentation may vary from one organization to another due to the:
- Size of organization and type of activities
- Complexity of processes and their interaction
- Competence of personnel
ISO 22000:2005 Implementation Benefits
- Conformance to Legal and Regulatory Requirements
- Provide recognition throughout the supply chain as single standard approach to Food Safety
- Customer Confidence, Satisfaction and Trust
- Clear responsibilities and authorities agreed for all staff
- Improved use of time and resources
- Greater Consistency and Traceability of products and services
- Level of Assurance in OrganisationalQuality
- Organisational Profitabilty
- Ability to Differentiate Organisation for Competitive Advantage
- Organisational Credibility & Reputation
- Compliance with the Codex HACCP principles.
- Access to new marketsthrough inclusion in the database of certified suppliers.
- Increase profits by aligning your products to retailer/consumer requirements.
- Improves the safety Safety and Quality of your product
- Demonstrates sustainable production and manufacturing best practices
- The ability to reduce the number and frequency of inconsistent and costly audits.
- Systematic management of prerequisite programs.
- Hazard analysis to evaluate threats to food safety.
- Dynamic communication on food safety issues with suppliers, customers, regulators and other interested parties.
- A systematic and proactive approach toidentification of food safety hazards and development and Implementation of control measures.
Why Choose 4C Consulting ?
- Team 4C has IRCA certified ISO 22000 auditors for Consulting Services
- 400+ FSMS implementation in 12 different industries
- Hands on experience of Team 4C in implementing other Food safety tools such as HACCP, FSSC, BRC food/IOP, AIB, IFS, Fami-Qs would help to gain early benefits
We offer a customized training program on ISO 22000:2005 for
ISO 22000:2005 Know More
Which organizations can implement ISO 22000?
Organizations involved in the food supply chain including any company involved with:
- Food manufacturing
- Food ingredients
- Food additives
- Transportation of food
- Packaging of food
- Selling (retail or wholesale)
- Serving prepared food (restaurants, grocery stores)
- Food equipment production
How to implement the requirements of IS/ISO 22000 in my organization?
- As a minimum you should familiarize yourself with the requirements of IS/ISO 22000.
- Vocabularies given in IS/ISO 22000 and guidance standard IS/ISO 22004 will help you to
- Clearly understand your organization's activities and processes and appropriately interpret the
- Requirements of the standards. Implement the requirements in the various activities and Processes.
- For training programmes on general awareness on the requirements our National
- Institute of Training for Standardization (NITS) may be contacted.