IATF 16949:2016 International Organization for Standardization
IATF 16949:2016 Key Clients :
IATF 16949:2016 specified requirements for automotive suppliers and has been written and adopted by the industry as the new international quality management system. It specifies the quality management system requirements for the design/development, production, installation and servicing of all automotive-related products. This specification focuses on
- Customer specific requirements
- Requirements related to safety and the environment, in addition to quality
- Requirements for Supplier Development
- Cross functional approach for implementation
- Advanced product quality planning – APQP,
- FMEA & Control Plan,
- MSA & SPC
IATF 16949:2016 specification are prepared by a group of vehicle manufacturers known as the International Organization for Standardization(IATF). The IATF consists of General Motors Corporation, BMW Group, Fiat Auto, Ford Motor Company, DaimlerChrysler, PSA Peugeot-Citroen, Renault SA and Volkswagen, plus national trade associations, AIAG (America), VDA (Germany), SMMT (UK), ANFIA (Italy) and FIEV (France)
On Road Automobile manufacturers are making IATF 16949:2016 a mandatory requirement or encouraging their suppliers to upgrade to the new technical specification.
This specification replaces existing US, German, French and Italian automotive quality system standards, including QS-9000, VDA6.1, EAQF and ASQ.
Scope & Application
IATF 16949 Standard specifies requirements for automotive quality management system to:
- Demonstrate your ability to meet customer and regulatory requirements
- Enhance customer satisfaction
- Effective implementation of QMS
- Continual improvement of QMS
- To ensure conformity to customer and applicable regulatory requirements.
IATF 16949 specification:
- Defines requirements for the design, development, production, installation and servicing of automotive related products
- Is applicable to organizational where customer-specific product is manufactured for production and/or service applications.
- Is applicable throughout the automotive supply chain
Support functions as design & development centers and distribution centers cannot obtain stand-alone certification to IATF 16949. They are to be audited as part of the site they support.
IATF 16949 requirements are applicable to the following types of automotive supplier:
- Trucks (light, medium and heavy), buses, Cars, motorcycles.
- Supplier providing parts, components, products , sub-assemblies and services such as heat treating, welding, painting; etc., for the automotive OEM's subscribing to this standard.
IATF 16949 Requirements
The organization shall:
- Identify the processes of the organization & interaction of these processes,
- Determine operational controls to ensure processes are effective,
- Control any outsourced processes that affect product conformity
- Ensure the availability of adequate resources and information
- Monitor, measure and analyse processes, and
- Implement necessary actions to achieve planned objectives and targets
IATF 16949 documentation shall include:
The quality management system documentation shall include
- Quality policy and quality objectives,
- Quality manual,
- Documented procedures & work instructions,
- Documents and records needed for effective implementation of processes,
- Quality requirements by the applicable regulatory authorities.
The extent of IATF 16949 documentation may vary from one organization to another due to the:
- Size of organization and type of activities
- Complexity of processes and their interaction
- Competence of personnel
Documentation may be in any form or type of medium
IATF 16949 Implementation Benefits
IATF 16949:2016 implementation improves / leads to
- Policies & Objectives set by 'top management'
- Understanding of customer's requirements with a view to achieving Customer Satisfaction
- Conformance to Legal and Regulatory Requirements
- Improved internal and external Communications
- Understanding of the organization's processes
- Clear responsibilities and authorities agreed for all staff
- Improved use of time and resources
- Reduced wastage
- Greater consistency and traceability of products and services
- Improved morale and motivation
- Customer Confidence, Satisfaction and Trust
- Level of Assurance in Organizational Quality
- Organizational Profitability
- Ability to Differentiate Organization for Competitive Advantage
- Organizational Credibility & Reputation
Why Choose 4C Consulting ?
- Team 4C has IRCA certified IATF 16949 auditors for Consulting Services
- 800+ certifications in different industries
- Hands on experience of Team 4C in implementing Global Automotive tools would help to gain early benefits
We offer a customized training program on IATF 16949 for
IATF 16949 Know More
What has been changed in the 2002 2nd edition of IATF 16949?
The revised version of IATF 16949 has been aligned with ISO 9001 and was developed and released under the sanction of ISO/TC 176, the ISO technical committee responsible for developing the ISO 9000 series of standards and guidance documents. IATF 16949:2016 is organized along the same eight-element structure as ISO 9001, with a clear emphasis on customer requirements.
We already have an ISO 9001:2016 certificate so what else do we have to do?
There are about 130 additional requirements in IATF 16949. Many of the additions clarify rather than impose additional requirements. A progressive organization could easily interpret ISO 9001:2015 and do all the things required in IATF 16949.